First recorded as Boscombe Cottage, it was then for a time called Boscombe Alcove and then Boscombe Lodge.By Shelley's time it was Boscombe House, and he and his family later renamed it Boscombe Manor.
Bournemouth dating in
Wolff sought to develop 'Boscombe Spa' as a resort to rival Bournemouth and it was he who created the Boscombe Chine Gardens.
In order to encourage the taking of the mineral water from the spring at the mouth of the Chine, a small thatched-roof building resembling a summer house was erected over the spring, and for a time this became a fashionable meeting place.
By the beginning of the 1860s Boscombe consisted of the Shelley estate and some cottages, one of which is known to have stood at the top of Boscombe Hill, near the present Drummond Road.
From 1865 the development and expansion of the area to the end of the 19th century, and beyond, was very rapid.
The Chine itself was partially laid out and a broad pathway provided. During the 1870s development of Boscombe was such that the population at the census of 1881 had grown to 1,895 – a more than sixfold increase.